Note: This website is under re-construction. There’s plenty of information up but it’s being edited and re-organized. Not all pages are written yet. Please see my main website, which is www.createyourhealthyhome.com. Check the mold tab there. – May Dooley, 1-14-15
Welcome to this unique website! You’ll read stories here that will help you understand different aspects of mold inspections, mold remediation, and post-remediation testing.
But more than stories, Mold Control on a Budget website is a unique DECISION website – to help you determine the best plan of action for your situation. The health of a family member, the degree of mold contamination present, your budget, and the array of local inspectors and remediators may all enter into your decision.
A Story: Worker training matters.
My client just called, upset: “I made it so clear to the remediator what I wanted, and I know he understood because he worked with us before. This time, he forgot to tell one worker what was expected. This clueless worker brought contaminated material down the open stairwell from the attic to the basement – and also sat on my new couch!! Now my daughter and I are feeling sick in the house again.
“We had cleaned so much and were doing so well here… and in five minutes, our efforts were trashed by this worker. THEY JUST DON’T GET IT! What can we do? Please help!” – CR, Edison, NJ
At Mold Control on a Budget, I will assist you in to an in-depth mold inspection and a safe and effective clean-up – whether you or your contractor do it yourself or whether you hire a professional mold remediator.
For the record, I am an independent inspector/consultant and not affiliated with any remediation firm – which would be a conflict of interest.
MoldControlonaBudget is the decision place for:
- What wise decisions can I make to get an effective job done on my budget?
- What can I learn from the experience and stories of folk like me to help me to wise use of my resources?
- What can I do if I can’t afford to do what should be done?
Who is the site author and story-teller?
My name is May Dooley, and I’m a former 8th grade science teacher. For the last 20 years, I’ve been working as a mold inspector throughout CT, DC, NY, NJ, PA, VA, MD, and WV and have inspected well over 3000 homes. For information on my qualifications, click here.
I not only do an in-depth check with an on-site microscope for mold in homes and offices, but I also can screen for other environmental issues that might be adversely impacting on your health – including gas leaks, exposure to various types of electromagnetic fields, effectiveness of vacuum cleaners, etc. For more information on my typical home inspection, click here.
My objective here is to tell educational stories:
- to show you how there’s a lot you can do on your own to inspect and treat for mold
- to help you know the difference when you should call in trained professionals
- to help you choose a real mold professional and to arm you against mold opportunists
- to help you understand lab reports and specialized types of mold testing
- to give you the latest information on clean up for sensitive individuals that the mold industry is not yet addressing (and which you can do yourself)
- to offer guidance when you can’t afford to do what needs to be done
So, let’s get started!! Mold Control on a Budget, here we come! Pull up a chair and start exploring tabs on Health and Safety, Latest Health Findings, Mold Inspections, Mold Remediation, Post-Remediation Testing, and Understanding Lab Reports.
Meet me at the Health and Safety tab!